Hi fellow Warhammer nerds (Restpec....Westside..iiiiiiiiiei)
Sorry for the lack of posts. I've just bought a house (move in this weekend-so no Call to Arms for me sadface). I've got a HE vs OnG battlereport to put up when I have time. Basically it is random charge fail 101...in a lolz way.
My high elf army is coming along nicely. Got heaps painted; I'll put pics up when I get a chance. The theme is coming together really well.
I''ve also had some thoughts on the High Elves:
1. Need magic defence: +5 to dispel with lvl4 is really good, so is the scroll. However, the lack of channelling and extra dice really hurts-hence why decided to add a 2nd mage with the steal a power dice crystal to help even the odds (and hopefully keep the swordmasters alove longer!).
2. Lore of Shadow is not all it's made out to be (really, well unless you have the cauldron providing support too grumble grumble): The threat spells are too obvious and the lack of magic missiles really hurts. The Meta of 8th maybe towards big blocks of doom (something I do not buy into), however having a way to zap pesky chaff units etc is really useful. My current thoughts are to have shadow on the lvl1 for the base spell and beasts or light on the lvl4. High magic is also something that crosses my mind-possibly on the lvl1 (upping them to a lvl2). Get the drain magic, and chance for some useful spells (flames of the phoenix, etc). I'm dropping the RBT's (to fit the new stuff), so curse of arrow attraction is a dumb "possibility" but with 26 shots I still see it being useful. Beasts gives me an excuse to buy the new DElf dragon model (very, very tempting-but with a different head-like the spare I have in the HE dragon kit....) and solves toughness issues. However the spells are still specific and easily targeted for dispelling...HMMMM 3 characters in combat...I wonder what spell I'm going to cast...Lore of light has 4 spells that have area affect = hard to dispel the "key" ones-especially if also know drain magic is on its way. ASF spell gives my swordmasters/DP's, WLions some serious chop that will prove very useful. Also the i10/ws10 gives me something to combat black guard with. Also pha's to help control pesky war machines!
3. Shooting is great, but RBT's too expensive and archers not good enough: so basically need the archers to make up core. I've toyed with the idea of sea guard (cool models mainly), however the ability to focus on 2 different units wins out in the end. RBT are a "nice to have" and in the big scheme of things and integral part of the HE army. However, more troops/smarter troops feels like the better choice. Also, if get the curse of arrow attraction spell it is nice to have some "threat units" even if only s3.
4. 2 units of Whitelions seems "optimal": yes/no/maybe? I lose attacks. This is what it comes down to for me. a 2nd unit of whitelions = I have to buy more models (not necessarily a factor, but a consideration), and lose a "lots of attacks" option. Lore of light + swordmasters should = win. The extra magic defence + buffs from lore of light should = they get to combat and HURT.
5. Chariots and E. Reavers: fantastic models. My 2k list sees me using 2 chariots (no calv). However the key here is "two" chariots. The single chariot gets in the way and hasnt achieved what I want it to. It's something I will be dropping. I want to keep the reavers because they are AWESOME vs everything except WoC (unless they bring fast calv of their own. Otherwise they are reduced to anti wolves and an extra 5 shots/turn).
6. SPEED IS KEY: with the Eagles, reavers, DP's, the only thing missing is a support hard hitter = noble on an eagle (with potential double charge range...) possibility to make it a lvl1 for beasts/fire/shadow support too....(evil thoughts). Also means my "griffons" as eagles can have the IoBlood noble all painted up for cool looking awesomeness. (Side note, I REALLY love the IoB models...all of them!). From a tactical perspective The Eagle noble gives me something to take out their support and combo charge with the DP's for a hard hitting flank.
So after all that: my proposed 2400 list:
lvl4: light, scroll 280
BSB: GW, AoCaledor, dawnstone 168
lvl2: high, crystal 175
Noble on Eagle: HA, GW, Dhelm 157
35 Spears: FC 340
13 Archers: M 148
10 Archers: M 115
23 Whitelions: M, SB-Bosorcery 413
5 Dp's: M 160
14 Swordmasters: M, SB -flame 238
5 Reavers 105
2 Eagles 100
So I hope that list supports my thoughts. Next time I get a game with them, this is the list I'll be rocking. If anyone can be bothered commenting on the list, please feel free.
Also got home con coming up in September, so I'll be sharing my thoughts on my Empire list for that (stank stank stank stank...)