Tuesday 23 April 2013

GW taketh, and taketh away....New Empire FAQ

Woah sad day for the Empire.

New Empire FAQ.

Bad News:
  • No more hatred Demigryphs from waralter (good thing I'm not taking one to Runefang!). My Waralter will now be forever sitting on the shelf as the one reason for taking it, has been taken away.

  • The Whitecloak of Ulric has been finally clarified to "models in base contact". I knew I was on the losing side of that argument...but I still stand by my original very well referenced comparative study on why the most consistent pan 8th ed armybook reading of this item was "units in base to base contact". I never took this item because of the lack of clarity...now I still wont be using it.

Good/Lolz News:

I believe this is the 3rd(?) Empire FAQ and the 3rd attempt to explain the very, very, very, very, very poorly worded Detachment rules (it is borderline Skaven armybook poorly written). Now more FAQ to create confusion....enter the all powerful Errata (hopefully my E-armybook update will be coming through soon!).

Basically they have capitulated and admitted that they got it wrong (finally). Now it is clear that "steadfast" can exist out of combat (yay), and that it is the parent unit's situation that is the be-all-and-end-all off the matter. Most importantly they clarifed that the parent unit has to be in combat to have lost steadfast.

Effect: so long as the parent has at least 1 rank of 5 models and is not in combat = CONGA LINING STEADFAST COLDBLOODED DETACHMENTS!


Oh...and my 2 cents on the High Elf stuff coming through. I'm going to sit on the armybook for a while and really crunch the best way to spend the least money making my army work.

My hopes and dreams:
  • Interesting effective core (seriously). Bus of spears with dual (cheaper) T. chariot support, archers and fast calv is all I want!I like the idea of the slightly Greeco/Macedonian-Roman style look and feel of the army. I would hate for this to disappear in a puff of "oooo look new stuff"
  • Cheaper RBTs. In a meta of monsterious calv...bs4 s6 bolt throwers are needed...but too expensive currently. 50/75pts and we're talking.
  • SHADOW WARRIORS LIVING UP TO THE FLUFF...or dirt cheap/core! I havnt read the fluff (Queue Shirts off Warhammer rant) but I've heard that shadow warriors are supposed to kick serious ass. The new kit looks really cool...so I want a legitmite excuse to buy it.
  • Serious competition between swordmasters and whitelions. The rumoured ASF/martial prowess with some way to get ward means I would LOVE to run 21 Swordmasters 7 wide. If that = 29 s5 ASF attacks = awesome....but if they die to zombies faster than I can kill zombies (like current) = back to the whitelions. 
  • The new stuff to not be the only thing that makes the book good.  Ideal situation: the new stuff (Phoenix/silly flying boat things: both on "I will break 1st game" flying stands/new character choices etc) is "good" in the same wat the new WoC monsters are "good"...as in interesting, but not the game breaking cheese they could have been. 
Other than that I'm fine so long as there are dragons and eagles...and whitecloaks acting like seadragon cloaks...and available to characters. 

Anywho that's all from me. Runefang in the weekend...apparently I have the nastiest list (says Pete with the "Skaven need an update as there is only 1 list that works" list)....so naturally I'll choke and draw Dwarfs 4 games and Skaven for the last one...fun times...

Battle reports as usual unless I play all 5 dwarf armies...in which case I'll be showcasing a new found love for Warmahordes having rage quit Warhammer (that's how it works right?).

4 comments:

  1. Just remember that Conga lining leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to....., well you know where. Conga lines might be as legal as selling Justin Bieber's music, but they suck equally as bad. Anyone using them should expect ridicule and unfavourable comparisons of their manhood to a gherkhin.

    Regarding High Elves, I totally agree. Here's to useful Spears and Archers, rather than seeing them shelved for the next 5 years. Isn't this what happened in 6th Edition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news is that you can mount your empire heroes on demis and make them immune to killing blow! Oh wait...

    White Cloak - welcome to Nightshroud territory.

    High elf stuff sounds good. You should see if you can get some of the 40k flying stands, those are almost indestructable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamish G (Kapiti)23 April 2013 at 18:03

    Joel, got any spare empire stuff you might want to part with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust a dwarf player to moan about conga's / nothing wrong with a good conga and I have no issue with an opponent doing it to me. Same with double flee etc as it needs planning to execute well.

    ReplyDelete