Thursday 10 October 2013

Battle of the Highest Order - High Elves vs Lizards

Yo!

With this sudden upswing in personal excitement for the High Elves now that their evil brethren are in town I figured it was time to invade the new world...but first pit stopping in Lustria to settle some old disputes with the frogs.

I sent over to the land of Mike:

lvl4: Shadow, Golden Crown, Scroll, Ring of Fury
BSB: Armour of Caledor, GW
2x10 Archers: Musician
2x5 Reavers (bows)
2x5 Lionhelms: M (shields)
27 Whitelions: FC - Banner of the World Dragon
25 Phoenix Guard: FC - Razor Standard
Frostie (I believe it was "Swift")
3x1 RBTs

The fluff goes something like:

"The High Elf force landed undisturbed, but observed by the Chameleon scouts. The plan was to launch an attack on Naggaroth from the unguarded south passing though the jungles of Lustria. However one of the archers whilst walking up the pebble beach got a sacred stone stuck in his shoe. This great insult woke a sleeping Slann who gathered his Skink assistants, temple guard, and his 2 pet Ancient Stegs to meet the intruders who dare "steal" the ancient treasures of the old ones."

Mike's army consisted of:

Slann: Loremaster High, keep a dispel dice, re-roll a dispel dice, add extra d6 to a dispel attempt staff
Scarvet: Coldone, ASF sword, 1+ as, charmed shield
2 Beast Skinks  - 1 with dispel scroll
4x10 skink skirmish
2x10 skink cohort
28 skink cohort with 2 Krox
3 Terradons
26 TempleGuard: FC - flame banner
1 Engine Ancient steg - sharpened horns
1 Ancient Steg - sharpened horns

We rolled up Blood and Glory (an appropriate mission given the fluff) and rolled for spells.
...yup perfect roll to get miasma, enfeebling, withering, and pit.

I got table side pick and picked the one with all the forests cos that wasnt a stupid decision given I had 3 RBTs that needed good LOS O_o.

However I also got first turn and my army advanced - and the terradons fled some lionhelms.
I chucked movement miasma on the skinks in front of everything, and pit got scrolled (boo!). Shooting was very exciting...I think I killed 12 skinks!
The lizards moved up to set up lots of fleeing... and magic was a flop

And I responded by failing to take a photo!

Reavers on my right charged a depleted unit of skinks (thanks shooting), took a casuality from S&S, and 1 in combat, but ran them down and (crucially) blocked the cohort...who fled when the Lionhelms charged some skinks against a fence next to them, and run them down.
the Whitelions made 2 units flee and rushed forward 6 inches to take EVERYTHING to the face (very male-gendered elves). The other lionhelms sandwiched some skinks with the Phoenixguard...who wiped them out and reformed to counter charge.
Note how my epic shooting reduced a skirmish unit to a single skink and the Temple Guard got hit by an IF Emfeebling to drop them to s2(3). Oh only 1 RBT hit and it caused a massive single wound to the Engine of the Gods.

So what's a lizard to do (other than sunbathe?). In everything charges...but the "normal" Ancient steg was feeling a little down and didnt quite make it to the party failing an 11 inch charge.
Mike then rolls a 12 dice magic phase. I let him give the Engine back its lost wound to "teach my RBT's a lesson". he then went to firey RIP doom the Phoenix Guard...and failed to cast. He then promptly failed to 5 dice large amber spear on the Phoenix...maybe I shouldnt have let the Engine get its wound back. Combat was exciting. The BSB started by killing the unit champ 3 times, And from 21 attacks the Whitelions managed to kill 4 - yes F.O.U.R. Temple guard...Dont give me that "but the delta for 3 ranks is better than 2 ranks re-rolling" crap when I get results like that! Good thing everything else except impact hits and stomps did nothing - even the Scar vet failed to wound meaning I didnt even get to use the BOWD! However I still lost and held (thank you stubborn).

SO what Happens in return? Lion Helms flank the ancient to hold it up, PhoenixGuard and Frostie flank the TempleGuard . Enfeebling stays up (thank you really poor magic phase rolling and threatening Wither) and I get miasma off...dropping WS by an annoying 1. A few more skinks die to shooting. Combat? well, I could give you an epic run down on how amazing the Phoenix Guard were and how they sliced the Temple Guard up and how that then rallied the Whitelions who remembered how to hit...or I could post a pic of the result:
And yes...it finally happened. "Swift" got caught on my cuff and the clear stand thing broke = I can now either pin it, or do some fancy magnet shenanigans.

Scarvet ran, Engine stubbornly held on. Phoenix Guard pursued 4 inches, Frostie ran the scarvet down and into the flank of the engine.

Silverhelms vs Ancient = Ancient took a wound and held.

Lizard turn = smash up Engine, lionhelms hold and a sneaky Tempest does this:
Ouch! The terradons also drop some rocks on the cohort "blocking" reavors who die a biblical death worthy of the martyrs they are (proof the lizardmen are up themselves as they clearly cast the first stone).

However in return I do this:
(yup Phoenix Guard are beating up skinks again) + the other lionhelm unit ran a unit of skinks down who didnt flee far enough.

AND THIS
Slann took 2 rounds of combat to kill. Steg combat was a fluff of epic epicness (in the combat the lionhelms died and the frostie passed a very nervous break test).. Shooting took the terradons down to 1 wound...

Phoenix Guard reformed face the Ancient Steg...
and promptly flanked and killed it (thank you wither).

the last terradon died to a LOLZ IF ring of fury that rolled double 1 for number of hits and did a single wound hahaha.

Result: Massacre to the High Elves

MVP goes to the lvl4 with some crucial hexes. MVU goes to the Phoenix Guard who twice charged in to get the glory...but didnt let that get in the way of killing skinks!

Gotta say I liked the list. I need to get better with my RBT placement. I think like they are cannons...but they have a crucial difference - they can't simply "shoot" though units and terrain!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win. It's nice to know that I can look forward to the flying stand for my phoenix breaking. It sounds like this is not an uncommon occurrence...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...my recommendation is to not play warhammer with french cuffs...

      Delete
  2. Well done mate. Sounds like shadow worked really well for you. Will take a bit of adjustment without the cannons.

    ReplyDelete